Sunday, May 07, 2006

*SNEEZE*

I'm currently sitting at home, dying of the flu. Well, at least I'm not going out quietly!!

It's all been very convienient, getting the flu now, as I am only just going into the 3rd week of being in theatres and I think I'm going to have to take tomorrow off. I'm sure the patient's don't really want me sneezing all over them in recovery. I still feel guilty though - :S

Anyway, work has been ok thus far. Having to get up at 6am everyday is taking it out of me though! I used to be a night person but now I'm lucky if I can make it to 9:30pm! I think the mental stress of working with picky doctors is also taking it out of me. On the upside, when it has been quiet in pre-op (which is where I was first), I've been able to sneek in and see some surgery. I still can't get myself to go in and watch hip and knee replacements though - the saw freaks me out!!

I am due to start a mini rotation in recovery tomorrow, but, as I said, I don't think I'll make it. That should be interesting too, once I get there - seeing the strange things people do when coming out of anaesthetic!!

Oh yeah, another, slightly major thing that happened to me last week was that I finally graduated!! YEAH!! I was pretty proud of myself! And yes, we did have to wear those stupid capes and hats! But it was fun looking so silly! So yeah, now I have that oh-so-important piece of paper saying that I have indeed spent 3 years of my life at uni (and you'd think for that they'd make it a little more exciting, but it's pretty plain actually). It was a little bittersweet though, as mine was in the middle of the week, so I couldn't catch up with old uni mates properly as I had to work the next day (and I was getting the start of this blasted cold). But all-in-all, it's a nice feeling just to be able to say that I am a uni graduate!

Anyway, I think that's about it for now. Work is taking up most of my time, and while I've decided I probably don't want to be a theatre nurse now, I can say it's definatly going to be an interesting experience. I'm actually quite surprised at how I'm handling everything at the moment, as I never really thought I'd actually get this far (I always thought of myself as a bit of a quitter, even though I don't think I've actually quit anything in my life...except ballet!). I guess it all comes down to Phillipians 4:13!!

3 comments:

><> Kelly ><> said...

Awww.
Make sure you rest!! so you are able to get better quickly.
(((hugz)))
I couldn't imagine being a nurse full stop. not to mention theatre.
How ever a midwife would be good... lots of babies :-P

Deb said...

oooh! Glad to hear you're doing great at work - although it doesn't surprise me :P

And wow - we graduated the same week....I wasn't the only one wearing those crazy outfits ;)

Take care of yourself, Rinni, and don't feel guilty....you're a hard worker and you'll only be more effective after taking some time to be pampered and recover.

Zarna said...

Speaking of weird things people do when they come out of aneasthetic;
When I came out after i had my teeth out, I tried to talk with my mouth full of cotton guazey stuff, said I want my mummy and then spewed!
Recovery will be great ;p